Why is health and safety training important?
Over 200 people are killed each year in accidents at work and over one million people are injured. Over two million suffer illnesses caused by, or made worse by, their work.
Preventing accidents and ill health caused by work is a key priority for everyone at work. As the owner or manager of a business you know that competent employees are valuable.
Providing health and safety information and training helps you to:
• ensure your employees are not injured or made ill by the work they do;
• develop a positive health and safety culture, where safe and healthy working
• becomes second nature to everyone;
• find out how you could manage health and safety better;
• meet your legal duty to protect the health and safety of your employees.
• will contribute towards making your employees competent in health and safety;
• can help your business avoid the distress that accidents and ill health cause;
• can help you avoid the financial costs of accidents and occupational ill health.
Don’t forget that your insurance doesn’t cover all these costs. Damaged products, lost production and demotivated staff can all result.
The law requires that you provide whatever information, instruction and training is needed to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of your employees